Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Underground Railroad Sampler Quilt!



A while ago, I stitched this Underground Railroad quilt top from blocks I made through a local quilt shop's sampler workshop, based on Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day. I loved using the reproduction civil war fabrics and the patterns which were mostly new to me. And I thoroughly enjoyed the lecture series supported by the shop.

A local woman and friend of mine, Karen Simpson, who teaches African American quilting and who also lectures in our area came to the quilt shop and brought her own Underground Railroad quilt made on consignment for the University of Michigan Botanical Gardens show that year. She talked about the various myths and beliefs accorded the patterns belonging to the Underground Railroad blocks and provided a thoroughly fascinating journey of her own quilting adventures.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a member of the Red Hat Society and we heard a lecture like this at a tea we attended, I don't remember the name of the lady, but she was very interesting...she had a block of each one and told the history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stories behind the Underground Railroad blocks fascinate me...We don't realize that each block has a story until we read about it.
    The quilt is lovely Coralie.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete