Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh How I Loved To Go Up In My Swing!

When I was a little girl, I begged my father to build me a swing. In fact, I stalked him constantly from the moment he got home from work until bedtime. Weekends, I followed him everywhere, reminding him that I really needed a swing.

Well, you can probably guess, that my tenaciousness paid off. Dad put in a heavy duty steel arch in the backyard and attached thick chains to it and to the wooden seat. It was a glorious affair!

On the first evening of its use, the whole neighborhood came to see how it worked. I flew higher than the crowd and could see them below watching, astonished with my daring as I reached for the stars. 

It was a heavenly evening and I'm pretty sure my father knew he had made me very happy but I wonder if he knew that I would carry that wonderful evening in my heart for the rest of my life. Maybe he did...he was pretty wonderful!

9 comments:

  1. Welllll, I still have a kids swing for myself, that I don't mind sharing with the kid-lings when they visit. It is so peaceful ... TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how much I used to love to swing - it is a magical feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think dads are wonderful. I too hope my da knew how many memories he and I created. Now Coralie I just can't visualize you as a stalker. LOL Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love to go on the swing's when I take the kid's to the park

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your recent visits and sweet comments. I have a confession to make, I still go out to the end of the drive and swing on the tree swing my husband put up for our tenacious daughter when she was younger. What a precious memory you share here today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sweet story - what a kind father you had! I always enjoyed swinging too! (I'm now begging the hubby for a porch swing!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw how sweet! My dad built me a playset when I was little and boy did he get his moneys worth because we played on that thing 24/7 and it's still around! LOL. What a nice thing to share with us :)

    All the best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice story!!! We had a swing in a big (and I mean huge) willow tree. It was so much fun. But here's an adults look at a swing. Some time ago, I read in a magazine that swinging is one of the best low-impact aerobic exercises you can do. I live almost next door to a little park so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for reminding me!!!

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading this story! My swing was a safe haven for me as a child and you have inspired me to write about it some time soon.
    I am still begging my husband to hang one for me from a rather sturdy tree limb that is growing in our yard!
    Also ~ I am SO sorry about your friends passing.
    Lots of Love to you, Terri

    ReplyDelete