Monday, November 10, 2008

Ojibwa Burial Grounds in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan


A few weeks ago I received a postcard from my dear friend Jeanne whom I've known since Kindergarten. We shared the same homerooms throughout our years in grade and high school in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, attended the same church and were active Thespians throughout high school. We attended each others birthday parties when we were kids and corresponded through the years as adults.

The post card I received said to watch for a surprise in the mail and have a camera on hand to take photos. So that is what I did. And what a wonderful & exciting surprise it was to discover a beautiful original oil painting of the Pentoga Park Ojibwa Burial Grounds (located a few miles from where we grew up) by my friend Jeanne. Her note said, "There is only one place this could go...It isn't the exact shot as the picture in your book A Tree Grows in Trout Creek but it's the same spot."

I was deeply touched and thrilled to be the recipient of this memorable oil painting by Jeanne. It's lovely to see every day this wonderful tribute to the area in which we came of age. But more important, it is the friendship of the many years our lives have been entwined that I cherish.

Go to: www.wildwoodpress.org for more information on my books which include cultural information on the Ojibwa/Chippewa Indians: The Wishing Years and A Tree Grows in Trout Creek, both collections of stories of growing up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment